Below we provide details on procedures to follow when applying for a filming permit in different spaces of the city of Madrid. For more information on types of permits and conditions, we recommend that you consult the webpage How to film in Madrid?
1. Public thoroughfares, parks and gardens
You can apply for two types of permits: Announced action (Acto comunicado) and Permit for occupation of the public thoroughfare (Permiso de ocupación de la vía pública).
Both permits can be processed:
- Online (requires electronic certificate).
- In person, by submitting a signed copy of the application at the Municipal Office of the Filming Authorizations Bureau, at the offices of Línea Madrid or other municipal registers, or in any other register of the central state administration and of the Autonomous Communities situated in Spanish territory.
- Form: Filming, documentaries and reports. Announced action (in spanish).
- The document that results after registering online or in person will serve as the filming permit, and hence we recommend always carrying a copy with you during filming.
- If the applicant is not a resident in Spanish territory, then Madrid City Film Office will exceptionally handle processing Announced action for the producer. For this purpose, please contact them at the e-mail address email@example.com
Permit for occupation of the public thoroughfare
- Form: Filming, documentaries and reports. Permit for occupation of the public thoroughfare (in spanish).
- The application must be accompanied by a copy of the payment from the self-assessment form for the issue fee for administrative documents (see instructions).
- We recommend that you attach a map of the urban area where filming will be done (Nomecalles, Google Maps, OpenStreetMaps or some similar page) with indications on the needs for parking, filming activity and additional space reservations planned.
- Once the application has been studied, the Filming Authorizations Bureau will contact the interested person to notify them of the acceptance of the permit or request additional information on the filming.
2. Municipal centres and spaces
The municipal markets of Madrid are managed by the trade association of each market. Each application to film on their premises must be processed with the specific managers of that association.
In order to film in Madrid’s municipal museums: fill out the Application for making photographic reports and films in municipal museums on the City Council’s webpage.
District sport and cultural centres
Both the municipal sports centres and the majority of the municipal cultural centres are the responsibility of the Local Governments of the District where they are located. To apply for a filming permit you must:
- Consult availability and feasibility of filming with the centre or the Municipal Government of the corresponding District.
- Fill out a General Application Form addressed to the district explaining the characteristics of the filming, the details of the production company and the needs for filming.
Singular cultural, sport and event centres
Madrid also features a series of prominent cultural and sport centres.
- Matadero Madrid
- Teatro Circo Price
- Centro Conde Duque
- Medialab Prado
- Teatro Español
- CentroCentro Cibeles
- Teatro Auditorio Casa de Campo
- Fernán Gómez Centro Cultural de la Villa
- Caja Mágica
- Palacio Municipal de Congresos
- Pabellón de Cristal de la Casa de Campo
- Pabellón Multiusos Madrid Arena
- Pabellón Satélite Madrid Arena
- Faro de Moncloa
- Pasaje de Colón
- Casa de la Panadería
In order to film in any of these spaces, please consult fees and procedures with Madrid Destino.
All municipal cemeteries are managed by the public company of Funeral Services of Madrid (SFM). To apply for a filming permit, please contact the Marketing Department of SFM.
3. Transportation infrastructures
To film at the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport or the Madrid Cuatro Vientos Airport, please contact the Press Department of the Spanish National Airports Agency (AENA).
In order to film at Madrid’s Chamartín Station or Madrid’s Puerta de Atocha Station, please send the following form, properly filled out, to the Filming Department of the Spanish Railway Infrastructure Administrator (ADIF).
In order to film at the Historic Delicias Station, currently the Railway Museum, please contact the Commercial Department of the Spanish Railways Foundation.
To film inside the trains, whether these are short-, medium- or long-distance trains, and also in the different commuter trains of the City of Madrid, please contact the Press Office of the Spanish National Rail Network (Renfe).
The metro facilities are the direct responsibility of the Community of Madrid. To film at any of the stations or in the metro cars of the city, contact Film Madrid – Filming Promotion Office of the Community of Madrid to receive assistance or contact directly the Press Office of the Metro.
To film in urban buses, bus stations and the rest of facilities related with this service, please contact the Press Office of the Municipal Transport Company (EMT).
To film inside the South Bus Station of Madrid, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Highways and roads
The network of highways that pass through the municipality of Madrid has different owners according to the thoroughfares:
- The M-30, including the ring of tunnels and links to the south stretch is under the direct jurisdiction of Madrid City Council. To film there, please apply for a Permit for occupation of the public thoroughfare.
- The M-45 and all three-digit M-’s are under the direct jurisdiction of the Community of Madrid. Any application to film on these thoroughfares must be made in writing and submitted at the registry of the Community of Madrid. In order to obtain more information on availability and conditions, please contact Film Madrid – Film Promotion Office of the Community of Madrid.
- The rest of roads, whether they are the radial thoroughfares (A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4, A-5, A-6) or the access thoroughfares and motorway ring roads (all two-digit M-’s, except for M-30 and M-45), are part of the State Road Network. On the webpage of the Directorate General of Traffic (DGT) you can find a form to apply for filming authorization on these roads. You can carry out the procedure online from the webpage of the Directorate General of Traffic or in person at any of the Local or Provincial Traffic Authorities (see contact data for the Madrid Provincial Authority).
4. Other spaces
Other landscapes and municipalities of the Community of Madrid
In order to procure information on the different natural or rural locations present in the Community of Madrid and to obtain assistance in processing filming permits, please contact Film Madrid – Office of Film Promotion of the Community of Madrid.