Plaza de las Cortes is a historic square in the centre of the city between Carrera de San Jerónimo and Paseo del Prado. Once the old entrance to the historic centre, it is now mainly known for the Palacio de las Cortes building, which houses the Congress of Deputies.
The neoclassical building, completed in 1850, has steps leading up to the bronze entrance door that are flanked by two emblematic lion statues made of iron. Six imposing fluted columns of the Corinthian order support the triangular pediment, which is decorated with sculptures. Among the rooms of the symmetrical building, are the famous Salón de Sesiones and also the library and the Salón de Conferencias, better known as the room of the “lost steps”.
In the centre of the square is a statue, erected in 1835, in honour of Miguel de Cervantes, from where interesting views of the Neptune Fountain and the towers of the old monastery of San Jerónimo el Real can be appreciated.
Other interesting buildings in the area are the Groupama Seguros building, formerly the Plus Ultra building, which has a carillon clock on one corner, the Medical Association of Spain and the hotels Westin Palace and Villa Real.
Fill out and process the form for an Announced action (in spanish only) or a Permit for occupation of the public thoroughfare (in spanish only). For more information on these permits and how to process them, please consult the webpage “How to film in Madrid?”.
Can we help you?